Welcome to St Andrew’s Schools, Lekki Peninsula (Atlantic side), Lagos. Nigeria.
Thank you for your interest in our Crèche, Nursery and Afterschool. We hope you will gain an insight to our school through this website.
The first five years of a child’s life are vital to the child’s development; therefore choosing the right childcare in your absence is crucial and is one of the most important decisions a parent has to make.
At St Andrew’s Schools, we know that every child is a gift and is therefore unique. We are dedicated to meeting the individual needs of children, socially, emotionally and academically to prepare them for primary school. We offer an enjoyable, inspiring and stimulating blend of the British and Nigerian curricula through a safe environment that provides plentiful opportunities.
We are pleased that you have considered giving us the opportunity to care for your precious gift. This is the responsibility we are in existence for.
We look forward to meeting your child and working in partnership with you to help your child acquire enthusiasm for lifelong learning.
We hope to have you visit us soon.
To educate children to achieve excellence as global learners.
To raise a generation of confident and independent learners of international standard in a secure and conducive environment to achieve excellence.
- To educate our children following the British Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) Framework while blending in the Nigerian curriculum.
- To encourage positive PATERNERSHIPS between parents, teachers and care givers.
- To work with the children to increase their CONFIDENCE and INDEPENDENCE.
- To OBSERVE, RECORD and REVIEW the children’s individual levels of development, using this to plan for their next steps.
Mainstream and Montessori approaches
Mainstream education sets children group targets and provides defined frameworks for these to be achieved. On the other hand, the Montessori approach of learning and teaching places emphasis on the individual child, allowing children to develop at their own pace.
At St Andrew’s Crèche we expose the children to both educational strategies to broaden their foundation and prepare them for whichever system they go on to use for further learning.
Our curriculum is organised in the following six areas
- Communication, language and literacy
- Problem solving reasoning and Numeracy
- Personal, social and emotional development
- Knowledge and understanding of the world
- Physical development
- Creative development
The Early years Foundation Stage (EYFS)
The early years foundation stage is the first stage of the British curriculum, in the National Curriculum, it is referred to as early years. This stage focusing on the distinct needs of children aged from birth to 5 years. Based on these we have created a context in which our children will learn by:
- Creating FUN in learning.
- Offering a range of activities to enable children to make choices, encouraging INDIVIDUALITY. We allow them to try things without fear of failure.
- A SAFE environment.
- Enhancing development by making learning PRACTICAL and RELEVANT to the child.
- Offering varied STRATEGIES that allow the children to work alone, in pairs, in small and large groups and with adults.
- Encouraging all children to be ACTIVE LEARNERS & CONTRIBUTORS.
Mrs. Mary O. Onu was born in Zambia, she holds a first degree in Mathematics with Computer science, from the Federal University of Technology, Minna, a PGD in Education from you university of Aberdeen, UK, an Entrepreneurial Management Certificate from the Enterprise Development Centre (EDC), Lagos (Nigeria) and a Certificate in Entrepreneurship and Leadership skills, Harvard (USA).